Geometric Plane Shapes: Circles, Triangles, Rectangles, Squares, and Trapezoids
What are geometric plane shapes? What characteristics do they have? These are the questions that we will answer in this post.
The principal geometric plane shapes are:
The circle is a shape that can be made by tracing a curve that is always the same distance from a point that we call the center. The distance around a circle is called the circumference of the circle.
The triangle is a shape that is formed by 3 straight lines that are called sides. There are different ways of classifying triangles, according to their sides or angles.
- According to their angles:
- Right triangle: the largest of the 3 angles is a right angle.
- Acute Triangle: the largest of the 3 angles is an acute angle (less than 90 degrees).
- Obtuse Triangle: the largest of the 3 angles is an obtuse angle (more than 90 degrees).
2. According to their sides:
- Equilateral Triangle: all 3 sides are the same length.
- Isosceles Triangle: it has 2 (or more) sides that are of equal length. (An equilateral triangle is also isosceles.)
- Scalene Triangle: no 2 sides are of equal measure.
The rectangle is a shape that has 4 sides. The distinguishing characteristic of a rectangle is that all 4 angles measure 90 degrees.
The rhombus is a shape formed by 4 straight lines. Its 4 sides measure the same length but, unlike the rectangle, any of all 4 angles measure 90 degrees.
The square is a type of rectangle, but also a type of rhombus. It has characteristics of both of these. That is to say, all 4 angles are right angles, and all 4 sides are equal in length.
The trapezoid also has 4 sides. It has two sides that are parallel but the other 2 are not.
You can practice with the geometric plane shapes by registering in Smartick.
- Geometric Shapes: Characteristics of Triangles
- Discover Geometric Figures Found in Our Environment
- Geometry and 2D Shapes with the Help of a Tangram
- Geometric Shape: Properties of a Square
- Geometric Figures and Straight Lines
Latest posts by Smartick (see all)
- Practice Division with the Help of Everyday Situations - 09/17/2018
- How to Cultivate a Sense of Responsibility in Children - 09/13/2018
- Cartesian Coordinates: The Quadrants - 09/10/2018