Multiplying Numbers Followed by Zeros
In today’s post, we’re going to learn how to multiply numbers that are followed by zeros.
You could go about multiplying them like any other number, but we have a trick to teach you, and it’s easy to learn!
The most important thing when you learn a trick is to remember why is works the way that it does; so, let’s get started and you’ll see that you’ll learn it in no time and remember it forever.
The first multiplication problem we’re going to look at is…
Let’s do the problem as we normally would by putting the numbers in columns:
Look at the problem. After you’ve gotten a good look at it, keep on reading.
Now, let’s move on to something a tad more challenging:
If we set up the numbers into columns, we can see that:
Think about it, what’s going on with the zeros? Let’s try putting zeros behind the 3…
Once again, we’ll set up the numbers in columns:
Take a good look at all of the multiplication problems that we solved. What happened to the zeros? The zeros from both the 5 and 3 “jumped” to the final answer, right? Now, take away all of the zeros from the problems. What numbers do you really need to multiply?
Then you just need to count the number of zeros and add them to 15!
Let’s look at more examples:
To sum up, in order to multiply numbers that are followed by zeros…
Here, we have a multiplication problem that has numbers that are followed by zeros:
Let’s follow the follow steps:
- Identify the zeros and count them:
In this example, we have five zeros, two behind 6 and three behind 8.
- Multiply the numbers that aren’t zeros:
- The final answer will be the number that we’ve gotten from step 2, followed by the zeros that we counted in step 1:
So, we’re left with:
What’d you think? It’s simple!
We need know how to multiply in order to do Step 2, so we’ve prepared some links that could help you:
Also, do not hesitate to register in Smartick to keep learning more math!!
- Multiply Numbers Ending with Zero(s)
- Multiplication with Decimal Numbers
- Powers of Base 10, Base 100 and Numbers Followed by Zeros
- Multiplication with Decimals and Some Examples
- Alternative Methods for Multiplication: Russian and Hindu Methods
Latest posts by Smartick (see all)
- Multiplication of Decimals Using Money - 11/11/2019
- 10 Tips to Help Children Do Homework Independently - 11/08/2019
- Learning with Analogies. Are Analogies Good for Learning? - 11/04/2019