Divide by a Two Digit Number and an Example
Have you already learned about dividing by a two-digit number?
In this post, we are going to review how to divide by a two-digit number using an example.
First, let’s review the parts of the division problem:
Now we are going to do this same division problem step-by-step:
1. We select the first digits of the dividend. We have to follow two steps:
- We choose the same number of digits that the divisor has. In this case, there are two digits.
- The total of the digits we have selected should be greater than the divisor. If this is not the case, we should take another digit.
2. We write the first number of the quotient.
Now we should look for a number that, when multiplied by the divisor (26), is equal to or less than the selected number (34), always looking for the greatest multiple that fits.
When we find that number, we place it in the quotient.
3. We divide the first digits:
We multiply the quotient by the divisor, and we write the result under the dividend. Then, we find the difference.
(Attention! It should always be less than the divisor.)
4. We bring down the next digit and repeat steps 2 and 3
5. We end the division
We continue repeating step 4 until we run out of digits to bring down. The last number that we are left with under the dividend is the remainder. Remember that the remainder should always be less than the divisor!
Now, do you remember how to do divide by a two-digit number?
You can learn more about division in these previous posts:
- How to solve double-digit division
- How to do 2 and 3 digit division
- Different models and examples of division problems
And if you want to keep learning elementary math, try Smartick Method for free!
- How to Solve a Problem Involving Dividing 2 Digit Numbers
- Learn How to Do a 3-Digit Division Problem
- Learn to Divide by One Digit with an Example
- Long Division: Divide by 3 Digit Numbers
- Learn How to Divide with 3-Digit Numbers
Latest posts by Smartick (see all)
- Multiplication of Decimals Using Money - 11/11/2019
- 10 Tips to Help Children Do Homework Independently - 11/08/2019
- Learning with Analogies. Are Analogies Good for Learning? - 11/04/2019