Today, we present our five tricks for Addition. They are super helpful and will help you add faster, getting the answer right every time.
1. Count from the number
Start with one of the numbers and keep counting onwards.
For example: 7 + 2
- Start on 7
- Count 2 more…until you hit 9
- So, 7 + 2 = 9
2. Start with the bigger number
When you have to add two numbers, it’s always easier to start with the bigger one.
For example: 3 + 13
If I have 3 yellow hats and 13 green hats inside of my trunk, and I ask you how many hats I have all together…It’s easier to start from the number 13 and add 3 than it would be to do it the other way around. 13 + 3 = 16
3. Multiply by 2
Sometimes finding the double can save you a lot of time.
For example: 17 + 19
- Find the number that is in between the numbers you need to add, 17, 18 , 19
- Multiply it by 2: 18 x 2 = 36
- And there you have it, 17 + 19 = 36
And if the numbers you need to add are consecutive, multiply the smaller number by two and add on the other one.
For example: 6 + 7
If I take out 6 grey doves and 7 purple ones from my top hat, and I ask you how many doves there are in total…
6 and 7 are consecutive numbers, so you can use this trick:
- Multiply the smaller number by two, which in this case is 6.
6 x 2 = 12
- Add on 1 to the answer of that multiplication. 12 + 1 = 13
- Now you know that 6 + 7 = 13
4. Combine numbers to form groups of 10
When you have to add more than 2 numbers, whenever you can, combine the numbers that can give you 10.
For example: If you want to know how many total feathers flew out from the hat, you have to add
8 red feathers + 4 yellow feathers + 2 blue feathers
To make it a little easier:
- Find the numbers that add up exactly to 10: 8+2=10
- Add on the rest of the numbers: 10+4=14
5. Find the group of 10s
When one of the numbers that you need to add is close to 10, round it off to 10 and add or subtract whatever the number you used to make it 10.
For example: 7 + 9
- Substitute the 9 with (10-1) and you’ll get 7 + (10 – 1)
- Add 7 +10 = 17
- …and now you just need to subtract 1: 17-1=16
Did you like this post? Share it with your friends so they can see these adding tricks, too.
Check out more addition posts on Smartick below:
If you want to practice these kinds of problems, and more, go to Smartick and try it for free!