The Superpower of Concentration
The time has come to give our little ones the superpower of concentration
- Mental gym. Remember that the brain is a muscle that needs to be exercised daily to be able to function at its maximum potential. There are infinite entertaining ways to train our brains: puzzles, riddles, word searches, or coloring mandalas, but the king of them all is chess! Besides giving us a large dose of concentration and attention, it also supports planning, organization, creativity, formal logical thought, calculation, reasoning…it is simply magic!
- Establish daily and weekly challenges. Planning is a useful tool to incentivize and encourage the intrinsic motivation to see all the small advances that are obtained.
- Find their ideal moment. Each person has their optimal performance moment in a determined stretch of time. Distinguish the time of maximum concentration for your little one, take advantage of it, and have them do their homework.
- Give their brain a break. Breaks form a part of the long journey of learning and with their absence, we run the risk of overworking our brain, losing concentration, and clarity. ”Sit, breathe, and then continue,” this is the plan.
- Stay on track. When it is time to do homework, it is important that everything that can distract your child is out of sight (electronics, toys, noises…).
- “Mens sana in corpore sano”. Educate your child about a healthy lifestyle:
- Eat balanced meals, with beans and vegetables making up most of the diet.
- Have a good sleep schedule.
- Exercise regularly.
- Put down the electronics and go play in the park!
At Smartick we know the importance of good habits and concentration. Because of this, our daily math sessions are only 15 minutes long so that it is easy to incorporate Smartick into the daily routine. Besides, efforts are more effective if they are short with maximum concentration.
“…focus and simplicity. Simple can be harder than complex: You have to work hard to get your thinking clean to make it simple. But it’s worth it in the end because once you get there, you can move mountains.” -Steve Jobs
- Should Homework Be Banned?
- Smartick: An Online Math Tutor for Your Child
- The Value of Being a Good Example in Children’s Education
- Homeschooling Math: Make It Fun with the Smartick Method
- 6 Pieces of Advice for Children to Make Good Use of Cell Phones
Latest posts by Smartick (see all)
- The Role of Working Memory in Learning Mathematics - 04/19/2019
- Would You Like to Increase the Probability of Passing Your Math Exams? - 04/15/2019
- Dyslexia: How Can We Help Our Children? - 04/11/2019